ScotiaLife® Accidental Death Insurance
Right for you if:
You want to safeguard your family's future in the
event of an accident
You want coverage you can count on
Accidental death was the 2nd leading cause of death in Canada from 2006 to 20081. In fact, someone passes away from an accident every hour of every day.2 If you're a Scotiabank customer 18-74 years of age and a Canadian resident, you and your spouse can each sign up for $5,000 of complimentary accidental death insurance – at no cost to you!
The Plan Offers:
- Tax-free benefits - Of up to $350,000 paid as a lump sum to your named beneficiary, should you pass away due to a covered accident
- A living benefit - Paid directly to you, should you be in a hospital for 365 consecutive days immediately following a covered accident
- Guaranteed acceptance - If you are a Scotiabank customer, reside in Canada, and are 18 to 74 years of age, your acceptance into the plan is guaranteed. Your spouse, if also residing in Canada and 18 to 74 years of age, is guaranteed acceptance as well - even if your spouse is not a Scotiabank customer.
- Affordable group rates - Guaranteed never to increase after you enrol and spousal coverage is half price. See our rate table.
- No medical questions to enrol
- Convenient payment options - Pay your premiums monthly through your Scotiabank credit card, chequing or savings account.
- $5,000 of complimentary accidental death insurance - For both you and your spouse, up to 5 full years
- A 30-day review period - To ensure you're completely satisfied with your plan
The optional Critical Injury benefit is available when you enrol for at least $25,000 of Accidental Death Insurance. Optional Critical Injury provides a benefit for Loss of Limb(s), Paralysis of Limb(s), Loss of Sight, Loss of Hearing, or Loss of Speech due to an accident. Accidental Death and Critical Injury coverage is also available for your dependant children.
What's not covered
To take the guesswork out of buying accidental death insurance, we've put together a list of what isn't covered. ScotiaLife® Accidental Death Insurance does not cover death or hospital confinement due to:
- any naturally occurring condition, illness or disease or bodily or mental infirmity of any kind, or medical or surgical treatment for any such condition, illness, disease or infirmity
- bacteria, viruses, fungi, prions or any other pathogens;
- suicide, intentionally self-inflicted injury while sane or any self-inflicted injury while insane
- an accidental bodily injury sustained while under the influence of any drug, unless the drug was prescribed by a physician and taken as directed
- an accidental bodily injury sustained while the Insured’s blood alcohol concentration was in excess of eighty (80) milligrams of alcohol per one hundred (100) millilitres of blood;
- an accidental bodily injury sustained while under the influence of any poison or gas that was voluntarily taken, administered, absorbed or inhaled
- flying (except as a fare paying passenger on a recognized commercial airline on a regularly scheduled flight) or any other form of aerial activity;
- war (declared or undeclared), riot or civil commotion, insurrection or hostilities of any kind
- participation as a professional athlete in an athletic competition or demonstration
- commission of, or attempt to commit, or the provocation of any indictable criminal offense
For more information
Online applications for new ScotiaLife Accidental Death Insurance are temporarily unavailable.
Registered trademark of The Bank of Nova Scotia, used under license. ScotiaLife Financial is the brand name for the Canadian insurance business of The Bank of Nova Scotia.
Statistics Canada, Canadian Coroner and Medical Examiner Database: Annual Report, February 2012.
Statistics Canada, 2006
ScotiaLife Financial® is a registered trademark of The Bank of Nova Scotia, used under license.
BNS Insurance Agency Inc. offers and arranges for the sale of ScotiaLife® Accidental Death Insurance which is underwritten by Chubb Life Insurance Company of Canada.